Splash of Spring
For the past 4 years, I have been capturing macro images of flowers, water, oil, and ice. Using my Nikon 105mm macro lens I capture liquid images with splashes, solids and mixtures of splashes and solids. But since March, I began a project on combining these images. Curiosity was the impetus of this new image title “Splash of Spring.”
This composite (combination of more than one image) began with a thought of “what if I combined a liquid drop with a flower?” The daffodils in our yard had recently blossomed, so I cut one and photographed it from multiple angles. Then I started thinking about how to combine them. My original idea was to have the milk drop explode out of the top of the daffodil. I searched through my milk drop images and found one that had potential. And the image to the right was the disappointing result.
I went back to the drawing board by moving the drop until I found the perfect placement. I rotated and resized the drop until it was on top of the bottom petals of the daffodil. I had an exciting new plan.
This needed to be a clean composite, so I used masking techniques to remove the bottom petals of the daffodil. Then, I “cutout” the drop and drug the layer to the flower image placing my “drop” petals at the correct angle. I copied the original daffodil flower base and elongated it to fill in the base that was hidden by the original pedals. The last step was to add a hue/saturation colorized layer to the drop and match the yellow tones. Once all the layers were in position I added a few final touches: adding shadows to the newly formed daffodil flower base and I added an additional random drop. Overall, I had 30 minutes of photographing the flower and about two hours of Photoshop-ing to create my finished product.
In the next few months, I plan to complete a few more composites like “Splash of Spring” with flowers and drops and hope to have a full portfolio to show.